Thursday, July 20, 2006

So hot right now!

Oh my goodness! Gasping for breath! The heat! We are in the middle of the dessert. We are drinking lots of fruit shakes, water, hard boiled eggs (general breakfast EVERYWHERE we’ve been) we are really doing some amazing things. Yesterday we went to some 2000year old tombs, an ancient city so well in tact. And climbed to the top of a hill with a citadel on it and watched the sunset over the dessert. I really love the dessert. The heat. The dense quietness. It seems so mysterious. Today we spent the day traditional Syrian style. Swimming in a 5 star hotels pool, eating westerner’s food (cheese burger). Tomorrow we are back to Damascus for another 2 days before heading to Jordon (Amman). Damascus is SO close to Lebanon. I’ve been feeling really disturbed at how one sided the English media is. CNN and BBC are all for Israel and think that Lebanon is full of terrorists. In Syria I’m aware of how untrue that is and feel so grateful that my eyes are open to the truth. It’s made me realise how important it is to know both sides of the story. To not fall for the hype of the media.
Only 1 minute and then my new Syrian friend is going to introduce me to another of his friends who sells pretty bracelets. Then we can pick up our laundry. It’s the first time in over a month that we haven't had to sit in the bath tub and scrub our clothes clean! Yay!
Salam Malikomb.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aaah! how i love reading you two! sounds like an incredible journey. keep writing. love love love
malakum salaam
xoxo
m-s